Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, October 30, 2009

Voices from the Past

I have had these tapes for a long time but have never really sat down and listened to them. I went and got out the old tape deck boom box thing and popped a tape in. I listened from the beginning and learned that these tapes are the first recordings of Pawnee songs, from 1898-1901.

This lady named Alice Fletcher taped these songs on cardboard covered in wax. Amazing. So, some people went on a trip up to Nebraska to a museum and got their hands on these old tapes. They gave the tapes to and old man and woman so they could listen and tell us what kind of songs they are and what they are saying. I wish I had listened to these before. Actually, I haven't listened to the both tapes yet but plan on finishing them.

I would really like to try to get these tapes put on CD so I've got to look around out here and see if I can find some place that can do that.

I am very grateful to have these tapes. I sure wish the Pawnee's had continued to pass down their language. It's a darn shame.

1 comment:

;) said...

that sounds awesome.