Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cloth Diapers?

Ok, I'm hoping for a better day today. I spent the majority of the day yesterday fighting the urge to puke. I was sooo tired because I didn't sleep well the 2 nights before and then I sneezed all day long. Sneezing alot makes me feel drained. Today I am tired but I'm hoping the nausea won't be so bad today.

I found out when I went to the doctor on Monday that the hospital in Logan has jacuzzi tubs, birthing balls and they let you walk around. The doc told me that the hospital has a low cesarean rate compared to most...what does that mean? Most hospitals have a rate of 80% and this one is 50%? And of course the doc gives me her opinions on homebirth. I didn't tell her that I am personally interested in it. I just asked a general question. Doctors sure know how to scare you out of it! But I had to go back to the waiting room for a few minutes and so I picked up this magazine and there was an article about a woman who did a homebirth. Ironic that I was doubting and then found reassurance so quickly? I think not!

Another thing that I am considering is cloth diapering. I've been reading about the health benefits of it. Did you know there is dioxin in disposable diapers that is one of the deadliest carcinogens? Also the cholorine and ammonia...not good. I've read about the environmental impact of disposable diapers. Disposable diapers are the third most common consumer product in landfills today. A disposable diaper may take up to 500 years to decompose. One baby in disposable diapers will contribute at least 1 ton of waste to your local landfill. And I've looked at the cost of disposable diapers. "You can expect to spend $1,500 to $2,000 or more on disposables by the time your baby is out of them." Holy cow. I could use that money on something else!

There are also a lot of neat options with cloth diapering nowadays. We'll see. It does gross me out to put dirty diapers in my washer.

I love looking into this stuff!

1 comment:

;) said...

its karen. my sister uses cloth diapers and loves it. every once in awhile (long trips) organic diapers...