Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, October 8, 2010

Warning: Don't read if you're anti-homebirth!!

Ok, sooooo I'm in the minority. I think I read once that only 1% of women give birth at home. Obviously not many people do it because you should see the reactions I get. Only those closest to me knew for a long while what my plans were. David and I quickly learned that alot of people are not so much for home birth. That's fine. I get it. So we just didn't mention it but eventually, over time, people start to ask questions about your doctor or the hospital and then rather than ignoring the subject you have to tell them..."I don't have a doctor" or "I'm not delivering at the hospital."

(0)(0) Thos look like funky boobs but that's supposed to represent huge eyeballs :0)

I even had one woman who I had never met before, give me her opinion, very strongly I might add. Then people have to add in the "weeelll, IIII had an epidural because blah blah blah." Um, ok, I don't really care. It's your choice and you can do what you want. People always feel the need to explain themselves to me. I need to wear a sign that says "I don't care what you choose to do!"

And something that annoys me is people who rant and rave about people who are for natural unmedicated child birth. I hear negative stuff about Ricki Lake's documentary all the time. She's so biased they say. Um, hello! She had a hospital birth and a home birth. It's not like she's only had a home birth and nothing else. And what's wrong with advocating something else? Any time people hear something that's against the norm, they come up with all kinds of crap to make that person or their message sound bad. I've been thinking about this alot lately...

Why did birth become so medicalized? God created women's bodies to GIVE BIRTH! It's natural and normal!

There are so many aspects to home birth that appeal to me. I love the fact that I'm at home where I can relax and feel comfortable. I have the option of moving anywhere I want to. I can deliver in any position I want to. I can set the atmosphere to exactly how I want it. No strangers will be walking in and out, distracting me. I can eat, drink and be merry! During the time of labor and delivery, David and I can be close and intimate. It will be a very special time for us. We will be able to focus on meeting our daughter and not focusing on some time schedule that the hospital has us on. (However, I do believe that if I had to give birth in a hospital, I'd prefer Preston's over Logan's. Logan has a high c-section rate and the people here in Preston seem a little more old fashioned in some ways--and I mean in good ways). I want my daughter to be born in a very special atmosphere. Giving birth is a special time and I want it to feel special to me and David. And by the way, like I said before, I don't care what other people do or where they give birth. This is MINE and DAVID'S decision; no judgment to anyone else :0)

The other reason home birth appeals to me is avoiding the whole cascade of interventions. I do not want an unnecessary c-section!!!

"Epidurals increase maternal and fetal healthcare costs and the professional liability of healthcare providers. Other medical interventions, such as IVs, continuous electronic fetal monitoring, the use of additional drugs, bladder catheterization, frequent blood pressure monitoring, continuous administration of oxygen and forceps, vacuum extraction and episiotomies, often become necessary as adjunct medical care to an epidural. Epidurals can prolong a birthing, leading to the possible need to augment the birthing time with Pitocin (an artificial hormone that mimics the action of oxytocin, the natural hormone that triggers birthing and causes uterine contractions."

Now of course I have to say I am very grateful for doctors who do c-sections when there is a need. And of course, if problem were to arise while I'm having Avery, I have absolutely nothing against going to the hospital for intervention.

"The use of these regular interventions interferes with the natural process of birth, which is inherently safe and effective. When the natural process is interfered with, pain is the result. How is it possible to know whether medical interventions are unnecessary? The anwer is surprisingly simple. If both mother and baby are doing fine, they're unnecessary."

I always thought I'd get an epidural! It's crazy to me to see what I've learned and how my views have changed. In my Hypnobabies class, there are couple's who are going to have an unmedicated birth in a hospital. They were told both by the hospital and my class instructor to ask for the nurse with experience in natural unmedicated child birth. They have one experienced nurse for each shift. What? There's only ONE nurse who deals with unmedicated births?? That's to me is so stupid.

I'm on a roll. I can't help it but I'll stop here. But first I'll put in a Hypnobabies birthing video :0)



It just proves to me that birth is a natural process and nothing to be scared of. Now, the good thing is...I'll end up speaking to everyone after I have Avery and I'll have all the feel good hormones rushing through me and so you may never know if I still feel this way here in a few weeks! hahaha I'm just kidding...sort of.

No comments: