Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Love

Today I was reminded about love. I mean real, unselfish love. I was reading the blog of a woman who was in a near fatal plane crash. Her husband was with her and went back for her all the while the plane was on fire. They were both in the hospital for a while and he recovered faster than her. She has burns on 85% of her body and was in a coma for a long time. When her husband woke from his coma, he would sit by her bedside everyday and talk to her.

Now she is home with her love who saved her life and their 4 children. When she looks in the mirror she doesn't see herself. Of course she has hard days remembering the beauty she had and struggles accepting her new body but when you read her blog, you see that she has such strength and she gets it from the love of her God and the love of her husband.

He holds her tight when she's having a hard time. He takes care of her and you can tell he loves her truly. Which in turn reminds me of the husband I have. I didn't survive a near fatal plane crash. But there was a time that I questioned if I was ever going to be the same again. Would I walk again? Would I brush my hair, my teeth or put on my clothes by myself?

The entire time I was in the hospital I had a loving husband who never left my side. He was with me hour after hour not knowing what the future held all the while reassuring me that I would never be alone in the future. I even told him he didn't have to. I didn't want him caring for me like a small child. He told me no, he would never leave. Even if I was on a ventilator and strapped to a wheel chair. I know he was scared at the possibilities but he never showed it. I love him. That man willingly and without complaint did things for me that no person should have had to do. I knew he loved me. I mean, the guy considers it a blessing that his finger was cut off so he could be off work and stay with me in the hospital! Who says that? My David, that's who.

It'll be 4 years this September since I found out about my AVM. Looking at me no one would ever know what happened. And no one knows the feelings I still feel in my body. They feel normal now. It's getting better slowly but surely and I can't even remember what it was like to not feel the tightness and tingling.

Sometimes we forget why we love someone or forget all that they have done for us. I'm glad that today I was able to remember how much David loves me. I forget all that he did for me. Life gets so busy that we forget to nurture the people and relationships closest to us. I am loved. I was reading this girls blog thinking "this is the sweetest love story I've ever heard" then I realized I have lived that love story and still am. Circumstances may not have been the same but it's the same type of love.

I really hope that we all cherish the time with our spouses. And I hope that we take every opportunity to experience things we never have and to have fun. Sometimes when I don't feel like doing something, I remind myself that at one time I thought I might not ever get to do anything again. So I strive to grab the opportunities to enjoy my life.

So, I've really unloaded today huh? That blog just got me thinking and that's always good. I love my David and I know he loves me.

No comments: