Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, August 26, 2011

Dr. Curtis

One thing that does make me sad about moving is having to find a new doctor for us. I can't say enough how much I love our doctor's office. I went in today because I have had concerns about my thyroid for a while now. I had it tested when I was pregnant but they told me my thyroid levels were in the normal range.

So of course, I did some research and learned that the "normal" range is quite large and that you can test "normal" and still have an underactive thyroid. I learned that their most common test isn't usually accurate and that there are other ways of testing.

So today I finally scheduled an appointment and told Dr. Curtis my concerns and how I was concerned about doing a regular TSH test and he completely agreed with me. So he's going to run some tests on my T4 hormones, not just my Thyroid Stimulating Hormone. He's also going to see if I'm Vitamin D deficient, which I have also learned most people are.

I just love that he listens to me and doesn't make me feel like I'm a nut. He also tells me I'm very educated (pat on the back). He told me today I was ahead of my time haha. That was in regards to some thyroid stuff that I knew about that the medical world is starting to acknowledge :)

He didn't even look at me weird when I told him about some random guy telling me my thyroid was bad by seeing the extra roll of fat on my neck. He said that's an indicator. I told him I thought it was swollen because I always feel like I have a lump in my throat so he had me swallow some water and felt my neck and said that indeed, my something or other glands were enlarged. So, he said checking my thyroid and vitamin D levels is a good place to start.

His staff is so wonderful. I am going to miss them. I hope I can meet some people who can lead me to a good doctor in Salt Lake.

Well, I've gotta go pour boiling water down my slow drain. It's been sitting in vinegar and baking soda :)

No comments: