Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Guess It's About Time!

So I've pretty much been a lazy bum this week. I'm entitled right? I just had a baby! A BEAUTIFUL baby girl. I seriously think she's the cutest little newborn I have ever seen! I may be partial but I just call it like I see it!

I guess I will include a birth story here!

Thursday morning I woke up just before 3 AM and got out of bed because my lower right side was hurting. I noticed after a little while that although it would ache constantly, the pain would peak every so often. So, I started timing these pains. They were sporadic, coming 5-10 minutes apart. I started looking online and on my birth board to see if you could have contractions only on one side. Never came to any conclusion from that other than from my own experience that says "yes, you can have contractions only on one side."

I called my midwife around 4:15 and she said to take a bath and see how I feel afterwards. After the bath I still felt the same so I called her back at 7 AM and told her that. She said we'd just wait and see. My contractions could stop or go on for a while she said. So, I waited.

David went to work that morning. So I labored all day by myself. It didn't bother me really, that he went to work because I didn't think I was going to be having Avery that day. And no point in him wasting a day for nothing. Plus, I could be as noisy as I wanted without him there! So by the end I was glad I was alone. I don't think my midwife thought I was doing much really because she made the comment that most women in hard labor don't want to be left alone.

At 12:30 I was sitting in the tub...hurting! I was watching The Proposal on my laptop, when I realized my mucous plug came out! Well, part of it anyway. It continued to come out for the next 2 hours. By 2:30 I called my midwife and asked her how close my contractions needed to be before she came over and she said 2-5 minutes apart and I told her mine were 4 to 5. She said she'd send her assistant over and head on over. So I called David and told him the midwife was coming which meant: get home now please.

David got home a little after 3. Time gets fuzzy here because by the time he got home I was laboring on the toilet and was in the transition stage already. Not long after he got home, the assistant, Robin, got here. David got the tub in the kitchen prepared and ready to fill and the assistant encouraged me, so did David, that I was doing great.

My midwife showed up (I have no idea when) but I was beginning to wonder if she was going to be too late. When she showed up, she listend to Avery's heart and it sounded great. Then she checked me and said "you're ready to have a baby". Wow.

So I waddled to the kitchen and got in the tub and David says it was probably 45 minutes later that Avery Lynn Irving was born! I know I could have gotten her out sooner but dang, pushing hurt!

David and I absolutely could not be happier with our choice of homebirth. It was so amazing. I was never stressed. I wasn't worried that I was going to end up with a C-Section and Avery was born with no drugs working her little liver. No one was coming in and out of my room. No one bothered me at all. It was something natural and not medical.

Never in my life did I think I'd be a woman who gave birth to a child with no drugs. Never! I'm glad I did though.

I love my baby girl!

No comments: