Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, February 17, 2012

Ugh...stupid allergies.

I knew that food companies by law had to label their packaging for food allergies. They have to list if their product contains one of the top 8 food allergies: peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, soy, wheat, fish and shellfish. I assumed that labeling whether or not the facility is completely peanut free (or allergen free I should say) went along with that. I was wrong, it's only voluntary. Just because a package says that the product is peanut free doesn't mean that it wasn't processed on equipment that peanuts (or other allergens) have been on. This doesn't make things easy.

It's so frustrating because I look back and realize that Avery has eaten a lot of things that could pose a threat to her. Part of me thinks "well, she's eaten that quite a bit and had no reaction...maybe she could still eat it?" but that's wrong. I have to even go to extremes to keep her safe.

I've learned that companies like Dove chocolate have some products made in allergen free facilities while other products aren't. I can go to their website though and see which ones are safe for her to eat though. Thankfully, she doesn't eat chocolate though :0) Avery can't eat Nestle semi sweet chocolate chips, which I have given to her.

Avery's been eating a lot of fresh fruit. That's obviously not a bad thing. David and I this last weekend had a few times where the inconveniences of peanut allergies hit us. We ran into a local bakery last minute...oops, they have tree nuts...which can lead to contamination. Avery's not allergic to tree nuts but we avoid them anyway. That yogurt we got...maple pecan granola...oops. Avery doesn't get any. Had lunch at a local Greek restaurant one afternoon...have to run in and ask questions to see if it's safe. They tell us no they don't use any peanut product and then what do I see on the menu? Peanut butter pancakes. Then my mind starts swirling. What if the food Avery's eating got cross contaminated? Feeling thankful/anxious that we're armed with a bottle of Benadryl and a 2 epi-pens. I've had to turn around and go home because I forgot the epi-pens. It's hard to remember to make sure I have those with us at all times.

I am planning on visiting with some local offices that offer NAET. It's something that I've been told has healed people of their food allergies. It's really a grim thought to think if we can't rid Avery of this allergy that we'll have to deal with this forever. Of course, I will. David and I would do anything for our girl.

Praying we never have to use those epi-pens.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Wow I didn't realize how severe her allergy is, thats super scary!